08 March 2012

Italian Pork Pasta

I have had this recipe for about 15 years and the last time I made it was 14 years ago.  It took me a while to calculate backwards but since I have never made it for my husband and we've been together nearly 13 years, that pretty much sets this recipe way way back.

Found originally on some pasta packaging and inspired by the Heart Foundation tick, if my memory serves me right it took me at least a year before I actually made it.  Meaning I probably only ever made the recipe once or maximum twice.

Subtle in flavour, it makes for a great easy going meal that is hearty and healthy.  To make it a lighter recipe just omit the pork and you have a vegetarian pasta.

Now 14 years on, I dusted off the recipe, made some alterations (with more cooking experience now, I realised there were some serious anomalies in the original recipe) and dished it up to my guests.  Since their plates were emptied, I will safely presume that they liked it.

Whilst I would usually serve this with a chardonnay, last night the general consensus was a merlot and they complimented each other quite nicely.

Italian Pork Pasta (Serves 6)

400g pork fillets cut into thin strips
1 small eggplant quartered and thinly sliced
1 tsp oil
1 leek thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 tsp chilli sauce (if not feeding kids then try 1.5T instead for a bit more zing)
2T tomato paste and combine with about 4T of water
1 punnet red cherry tomatoes halved
2 bacon rashers thinly sliced
100g Mushrooms sliced
1 tsp dried basil (or 0.25C fresh basil)
500g fettuccine
Parmesan cheese

Method

Prepare all the ingredients.

Ingredients ready to be cooked.

Lightly pan fry eggplant, remove.

Add oil to wok and sauté leek and garlic, add chilli sauce, tomato paste, tomatoes, cook 2-3 minutes. Add bacon, mushrooms and basil and cook a further 2-3 minutes.

Cook pasta according to packet instructions.

Pan fry pork in batches on medium-low heat and add to vegetable sauce.

Pork and vegetable sauce cooking in wok.
 Serve pasta and top with sauce followed by parmesan cheese.

Finished product.  Not bad after all these years.