13 August 2012

German Potato Soup

Fellow cook, Jenny Filips, posted this very yummy soup on Facebook's Homemade Recipes Group.  Immediately I made it and devoured it with my daughter.  Less than a fortnight later, I made it again and this time promptly demolished it with my husband, brother and daughter.

A quick and easy soup, it's thick, flavoursome and filling.  Jenny's recipe calls for bacon but since I didn't have any I used two chorizo sausages instead.

German Potato Soup

1 T margarine
2 onions, peeled & diced
2 chorizo sausages
2 T flour
1 L chicken stock
4 large potatoes, peeled & cubed
2 T freshly chopped parsley

Method

Heat margarine in large saucepan, add the onion and cook till softened.

Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the flour until all combined. Return to heat and slowly add the stock stirring continuously.

Add potatoes and parsley, bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.

Whilst the soup is simmering, fry the chorizos until almost cooked. Remove from frying pan and slice then quarter. Add back to frying pan and continue frying till fully cooked.

When the soup has cooked add the chorizos, stir, season to taste and serve hot.