07 May 2012

Cabbage, Carrot & Apple Soup

If you have been following my blog recently than you may be aware that I have started a detox diet using fruit juice in the morning and veggie juice for dinner.  For lunch I make soups and slightly alter them to remove oil and commercial stock from the recipes.

I have a terrific book called the Detox Diet Cookbook by Nicola Graimes which I have been using for about nine years because it has some beautiful soup recipes in them.  The cabbage soup is one them.  Given the wonderful health benefits derived from cabbage it was an ideal veggie to include in my current diet.

Nicola describes the health benefits as: "an excellent detoxifier and its reputed to aid digestion, detoxify the stomach and upper bowels and cleanse the liver and reduce the risk of certain cancers.  It is rich in folate, vitamins C and E, potassium, iron, betacarotene and thiamin, and is well known for its potent antiviral and antibacterial qualities."

Cabbage, Carrot & Apple Soup

1 small white cabbage shredded
2 carrots, peeled, cut lengthways and then sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
1 apple, cored, peeled and chopped
1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1.2L water (I would normally use commercial vegie stock if I was not detoxing)
Half a lemon

Method

In a saucepan add carrots, onion, celery and enough water to saute the vegies for about 10 minutes.


Then add the cabbage, carrot, parsley and water (or stock).  Bring to boil and then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.


At this point you can either serve as is or blend it.  Grind fresh sea salt and pepper and squeeze lemon juice to suit your tastebuds.  Usually I wouldn't blend this soup but I made it easier for my daughter since even when the cabbage is shredded, it is still a bit too bulky for my little girl.  I also dropped a tablespoon of live yoghurt in her bowl.